As with hot chocolate, use any milky liquid you prefer, whether it’s from a cow, nuts (almond milk), beans (soy milk), or grains (rice milk). For sweeteners, feel free to substitute maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar for sugar, but start with less, about one tablespoon, and taste the combination before adding more.
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk any combination of milk, half-and-half, or cream
- 1/4 tbsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together the cocoa, sugar, salt and about two tablespoons of milk in a small saucepan.
- Over a medium-low heat until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
- Whisk in the rest of the milk and heat it over medium heat.
- Whisk occasionally until it is hot.
- Stir in the vanilla and serve.