Cooking with BLAC is excited to feature blueberries for the month of April! Challenge accepted little fruit. Blueberries are perfect for adding some sweetness to your recipes without being too heavy. Especially in this truly delicious and refreshing Lemon Blueberry Cake.
The BLAC Happy Hour team, who loves showcasing drinks featuring black owned spirits, and the recipe this month is no different. We’ve put together a list of our favorite blueberry cocktails that are sure to be a hit at your next gathering. Whether you’re looking for something light and refreshing or something a little more festive, we’ve got you covered. So mix up a batch of one (or all) of these delicious drinks and enjoy the taste of spring!
Blueberry Honey Whiskey Sour
- 1/4 cup freshly pureed blueberries about 1/4 pint whole berries. strained if desired (I did not strain mine!)
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- 1/3 cup Uncle Nearest whiskey bourbon is an alternative
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 cup simple syrup*
- 1 lime Garnish optional
- Simple syrup is a simple and easy way to make your favorite cocktails. Simply combine equal parts sugar with water in a small saucepan over medium heat until all the sweetness has been dissolved (no need for boiling!), remove from heat then allow it to cool completely before using as desired.
- Fill a cocktail shaker (or makeshift one) half way with ice. Pour in whiskey, lemon juice, simple syrup, pureed blueberries, & honey. Place lid on and shake vigorously for 30-45 seconds.
- Add ice to a small whiskey glass. Strain beverage into cup and serve immediately.
- Drizzle some extra honey on top if desired!
Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe
- 1 box vanilla cake, plus ingredients called for on box 15.25-oz. box
- 1 1/2 lemons Juice and zest
- 1 3/4 cup fresh blueberries divided
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 Pinch kosher salt
- Thin lemon slices for topping
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease three 9″ cake pans with cooking spray and line with parchment. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, then stir in juice and zest of 1 lemon.
- In a small bowl, toss 1 cup blueberries and flour until completely coated. Gently fold blueberries into the batter.
- Divide cake batter evenly among prepared cake pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat butter and 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Add remaining lemon juice and zest and heavy cream and beat until combined, then beat in vanilla and salt. (Add remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar as desired for texture and flavor.)
- Place a dab of frosting on cake plate to keep cake from moving and place a parchment strip on each side of the cake plate. Place down first cake layer and top with frosting, then repeat with the second and third cake layers and remaining frosting. Smooth frosting over the top and sides of your cake.
- Garnish with remaining blueberries, lemon slices, and zest before serving.
Spiked Blueberry Lemonade
- 1 oz. Blueberries fresh whole
- 1.5 oz. Vodka Stock Da Bar (Black-owned)
- 0.25 oz. Elderflower liqueur St-Germain
- 8 oz. Lemonade
- 1 Lemon wedge
- 1 Sprig fresh mint
- Place blueberries, sugar and 1 cup water in a blender and process until smooth.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a large pitcher and pour the mixture through.
- Discard the solids that remain in the sieve.
- To the blueberry mixture, add lemon juice, remaining 3 cups of water, vodka and
- Stir and taste, add more vodka if desired.
- Chill until cold. Serve over ice.
- Garnish with Lemon, Mint and Blueberries