Grits Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork or turkey sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick grits
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray shallow 3-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain.
- Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, heat water and salt to boiling. Slowly stir in grits; reduce heat. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and the butter until melted. Stir in eggs, milk and sausage.
- Pour grits mixture into casserole. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake casserole uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool 10 minutes before serving.