We are looking for the brightest storytellers to Work with Editor-in-Chief Darralynn Hutson for a 12-week Editorial Apprenticeship.
Want to learn the craft of digital storytelling from a hands-on editor-in-chief? Submit your application to become an apprentice and learn the craft of being a working journalist in a modern setting and creative environment.
We want to motivate the next generation of storytellers with the right tools, education, experience and expertise to create a community of griots across the world,” says Darralynn Hutson, veteran journalist and editor. “”Our stories are authentically told in authentic formats; this apprenticeship program teaches digital formatting, conversation, relationship building and vital organizational skills to polished perfection, as the pages of our favorite magazine.”
The magazine industry is not dead, it has evolved into digital storytelling, video series and event curation and most importantly relationship building. Because Black culture has always sold magazines, advertising and performances; this apprenticeship will push Black and Brown participants that have largely been underserved and untrained.
Position Description(s): (6 apprenticeships) 2 Editorial, 1 Strategy, 1 Sales and 2 Digital Publishing
Location: Midtown Detroit
Date: February – May 2023
Duration: College Students 12 Weeks Tuesday through Friday; High School Students: Saturdays afternoon
Payment: Six apprentices will be chosen for the first winter apprenticeship and paid a stipend for 12-week program
Send Bio and Clips or reel to editor@Blacdetroit.com
- Work as a vital team member of a magazine editorial staff
- Research Black culture (recipes, “listicles,” business profiles, book launches, local happenings)
- Meet Detroit’s Top Publishing Editors (Hour, Real Times Media, BLAC, Metro Times and Crains, Detroit Free Press & Detroit Design)
- Create databases, schedule interviews, coordinate editor’s schedule and prepare in accordance with editor’s specifications
- Prepare various emails, posts from the list of categories
- Secure and transcribe business interviews done on video or audio by the editor
- Adhere to grammar and AP style standards.
- Produce weekly subscriber newsletter(s) and product photo shoots and playlist(s) for approval
- Pitch story ideas and assist with magazine (flat-plan) summer special July Issue