MBSC collaborative-wide meetings involve the review of statewide data and open discussions related to improving bariatric surgery care. We look forward to
We look forward to seeing you at MBSC’s in-person collaborative-wide meeting on Friday, June 2, 2023.
Brunch will be served from 10am-11am with the meeting beginning promptly at 11am and ending at 2pm.
We will also be holding 2 pre-meeting breakout sessions as detailed below:
- 9am – 10:30am – Integrated Health Breakout Session. For any interested MBSC member.
- 9am – 10:30am – Surgeon Skill Breakout Session. For any interested MBSC surgeon.
Please register using the button above to confirm your attendance. Registration will close on Friday, May 19, 2023. Due to continued effects of COVID-19 on the food and beverage supply chain as well as with staffing within the meeting venue industry, we will not be able to accept registrations past this deadline.
Please take a moment to review the COVID-19 meeting policy and CME details below.
Meeting COVID Policy:
We will be following current CDC guidelines and ecourage all meeting participants to:
- Stay home if not feeling well
- Mask if not vaccinated or not up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations
- Recognize and respect that some will choose to continue to mask and should feel comfortable doing so.
Information About the Activity:
Planner: Michael J. Englesbe, MD (Michigan Medicine)
Target Audience: Bariatric surgeons and other members of the healthcare team from the state of Michigan
Learning Objectives: At the end of this meeting, the learner will be able to:
- Utilize information from MBSC’s 15-year follow-up data to anticipate and optimize long-term outcomes.
- Understand the usage of GLP-1 medications on patients with a BMI between 30-40 with no comorbidities.
- Optimize the usage of anti-obesity medications in both preop and post op patients.
- Utilize weight loss differences between men and women to improve outcomes in both patient populations.
- Apply lessons learned from an analysis of all aborted cases.
- Implement VTE prophylaxis updates into pre and post-bariatric surgery care.
Description: The Michigan Bariatric Surgery Collaborative (MBSC) meets tri-annually to discuss data, trends and outcomes from our robust clinical outcomes data registry. We collaborate and engage with our participating sites on various initiatives aimed at improving quality and decreasing the costs associated with bariatric surgery.
Expected Results: After completing this activity, participants will be able to understand and implement recent innovations in the care of patients undergoing bariatric surgery.
Accreditation/Designation Statement: The University of Michigan Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The University of Michigan Medical School designates this live activity for a maximum of 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
11:00 – Welcome and Updates: Arthur Carlin, MD (Henry Ford Health)
11:05 – 2023 Walk from Obesity: Carl Pesta, DO (McLaren Macomb)
11:10 – 15-Year Follow-Up: Arthur Carlin, MD (Henry Ford Health)
11:22 – GLP-1 Medications in Patients with BMI Between 35-40 and No Comorbidities: Ahmad Hider, M3 (Michigan Medicine)
11:34 – Anti-Obesity Medications (AOMs): Sean O’Neill, MD, PhD (Michigan Medicine)
11:46 – Weight Loss Differences Between Men and Women: Ahmad Hider, M3 (Michigan Medicine)
11:58 – PHQ8 Outcomes: Jon Finks, MD (Michigan Medicine)
12:10 - Aborted Cases: Arthur Carlin, MD (Henry Ford Health)
12:20 – VTE Prophylaxis Update: Arthur Carlin, MD (Henry Ford Health)
12:33 – Stand and Stretch Break
12:40 – Preparing Patients for Surgery: David Creel, PhD, RD, CDE (Cleveland Clinic)
1:15 – Preparing Patients for Surgery Panel Discussion
2:00 – Adjourn Meeting
(Friday) 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Suburban Collection Showplace
46100 Grand River Avenue, Novi, MI 48374