BLAC Detroit Magazine is the premier lifestyle magazine for African Americans in and around Detroit. We cover the people, places and issues of importance to our community. We strive to be inclusive of the entire African diaspora in our region, covering African descendants of various national and ethnic backgrounds.
We also empower readers with the information they need to fully appreciate and enjoy metro Detroit. We are committed to providing our target audience – ranging in age from late 20s to upper 50s – with engaging, high-quality editorial and visual content.
This ethics policy is used to outline the measures that BLAC takes for the public’s interest. All the values here reflect BLAC’s mission to be an accurate and fair representation of the community. Much of this information is drawn from ProPublica, Chalkbeat, Society of Professional Journalists and VICE News.
We will continue to add to this document as we learn more about our community and encounter different experiences. We encourage those affiliated with BLAC to discuss this Code and to bring forth any valuable information and/or additions.
How to Provide Accuracy
Journalism represents the Fourth Estate, and we are expected to report clear, fair and accurate information. BLAC upholds these expectations by trusting their staff writers, copy editors and managing editors to produce content that builds a relationship with its audience. If there are inaccuracies within an article, readers are advised to call 313-312-1611 or email email@example.com. To cultivate trust within our readers, sources, clients and sponsors, BLAC:
- Clarifies any facts, sources or confusion within an article, and learns from any mistakes
- Never distorts facts and/or statistics or uses another’s words or theories without providing attribution on any platform including print, digital or within video content
- Analyzes evidence through a fair and just lens
- Provides context and background information to aid the reader in comprehending a story or perspective
- Offers varying perspectives that speak to our diverse demographic through sources, statistics and experiences
Our News Gathering Methods
BLAC reports on the people, places and issues of importance to our community. We strive to be inclusive of the entire African diaspora in our region, covering African descendants of various national and ethnic backgrounds. To ensure that we are complying with our mission and to minimize harm, BLAC journalists:
- Introduce ourselves as an affiliate and/or representative of BLAC. When we seek an interview, we are transparent about our position and intentions
- Openly name sources with their credentials and full names
- Recognize that some sources are from vulnerable groups that require representation and approval, and seek out approval
- Are compassionate and sensitive to those who may be negatively affected by news coverage. This involves showing sensitivity to those who are children, victims of sex crimes, or unsure of how to give consent
- Work with editors about conflicting source information to assess how to appropriately move forward with a story or source information
- Keep clear and open communication with sources about information that will be used. Should there need to be a follow up for clarity, BLAC will reach out to sources for more information and answers
- Offer sources the opportunity to respond to any information in which they are received in a negative light
- Explain to readers our efforts to receive information from any source obviously omitted from a story
Our Journalists Act Independently
BLAC trusts its staff writers, copy editors and managing editors to conduct themselves in compliance with our mission, to serve the community and to act independently. Through the content we share and the sources we use, BLAC continues to act as a platform for our community. As a result, BLAC journalists and staff will:
- Avoid conflicts of interest
- Refuse payment for an interview
- Be wary of sources and that want to trade information for favors
- Decline gifts from sources or clients
- Distinguish news from advertised content in that all sponsored stories and content will be clearly labeled as such