This is one fabulously rich and decadent pie: the Pecan Pie. Make no mistake – this delicious Southern dessert is definitely not diet-conscious food. The secret to this rich pie is cooking the sugar and corn syrup first. It has simple ingredients, including eggs, butter, vanilla, corn syrup, brown sugar and of course pecans. And you can caramelize the pie filling in less than 5 minutes.
Black Folks Pecan Pie Recipe
- Large Bowl or Electric mixer
- Deep dish pie pan
- Conventional Stove or Oven
- 6-Quart Sauce pan
- Wax Paper
- 1 Pie Crust deep dish pie shell
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Corn syrup (half dark and light)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In saucepan boil sugar and corn syrup together for 2 to 3 minutes; set aside to cool slightly.
- In large bowl beat eggs lightly and very slowly pour the syrup mixture into the eggs, stirring constantly.
- Make sure it's smooth and lump free.
- Stir in butter (it will melt when stirred into warm mixture), then add vanilla, applesauce, salt and pecans.
- Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Remove and let cool completely.