There are few quick meals that are as easy to throw together and as beloved as that childhood classic of fish sticks with a twist. We have discovered that it’s not that difficult to make your own fried fish nuggets from scratch; using catfish as your fish of choice. This especially delicious and easy oven-fried catfish recipe incredibly kid friendly.
Best of all, with a short ingredient list of seven items (many of which you likely already have in your kitchen) and a short total cook time of about 35 minutes, you can get these on the table without much hassle at all. And this oven-fried catfish nuggets recipe is easy to customize, too. You can spice up the breading if you prefer a little heat, or you can add your own favorite spice into the mix.
- 1 lb catfish haddock or other medium-firm fish fillets, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine melted
- Move oven rack to position slightly above middle of oven. Heat oven to 500°F.
- Cut fish into 2×1 1/2-inch pieces. In shallow dish, mix cornmeal, bread crumbs, dill weed, paprika, salt and pepper. Place milk in another shallow dish. Dip fish into milk, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Place fish in ungreased 13×9-inch pan. Drizzle melted butter over fish. Bake uncovered about 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.