A staple of Thanksgiving celebrations growing up, this recipe for Black Folks Mac & Cheese been a fave Thanksgiving dish in my family covering 3 generations. Mac & Cheese is also a must on any list of ultimate comfort foods. Every year I text my Mom to get the recipe, again. Sorry Mom.
While the Thanksgiving holiday is a time of family, friends, and good food. It is also a time when many people look forward to indulging in turkey and
stuffing dressing, cranberry sauce (fresh out of the Ocean Spray can) and you best not forget the sweet potato pie.
Black Folks Mac & Cheese recipe is a combines all the things that you love about macaroni and cheese—and then some! This recipe will be sure to please everyone at your Thanksgiving table. For those who feel the need to tell me that this is not a unique recipe, remember, it’s like telling a child there is not Santa Claus. No spoiler alerts 😀
Black Folks Mac & Cheese
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard optional
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar cheese 8 oz divided
- 1 3/4 elbows (about 1 3/4 cups) 8 oz cooked 7 minutes and drained
- In medium saucepan combine first 4 ingredients; stir in milk. Add margarine; stirring
- constantly, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cups cheese until melted. Add elbows. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake uncovered in 375°F oven 25 minutes or until lightly browned.