I love cornbread.
I mean, who doesn’t? It’s a classic American comfort food that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner—and in any season. It goes with just about anything: eggs and bacon, chili, soup… even just by itself!
If you love cornbread, you’ll love this Blueberry Cornbread recipe With Creamy Honey Butter Sauce.
Our version of this classic dish is made with cornmeal and sweetened to perfection, then baked in a cast iron skillet for crispy edges. It has a slightly sweet taste and a moist texture, thanks to the addition of blueberries. The cornmeal provides a slightly grainy texture and a nutty flavor, while the blueberries add a burst of fruity flavor and sweetness. Homemade cornbread with delicious blueberries in it? An awesome combination! You can use fresh or frozen blueberries, but we recommend fresh if you can get them. And with the sweet and creamy Honey Butter which is made with just three simple ingredients— it’s irresistible!
Southern Style Blueberry Cornbread With Creamy Honey Butter Sauce
Blueberry Cornbread Ingredients
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups soy or 2% milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Honey Butter Ingredients
- ½ cup unsalted butter* softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey plus more if desired, to taste
- Pinch or two of salt*
Blueberry Cornbread Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-in. square baking pan.
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Honey Butter Instructions
- Place the butter in a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter until it is creamy.
- Add the honey and salt and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Taste and add more salt and/or more honey as desired, to your tastes.
- Serve with cornbread, biscuits, rolls, crusty bread, toast, banana bread, muffins, corn on the cob, baked sweet potatoes, etc.
- Add a few tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar to make the butter extra sweet and creamy.
- To make cinnamon honey butter, mix in 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and taste. Add another ½ teaspoon if you want a stronger flavor.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract to lend a touch of sweetness and flavor.
- Make maple butter by substituting pure maple syrup for the honey.
If you give this Blueberry Cornbread Recipe a try , be sure to let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #cookingwithBLAC on Instagram. We love to see what you come up with. Enjoy! For more recipes be sure to explore Cooking with BLAC