No dish is quite as soothing as a hearty bowl of chicken noodle soup. Slow-cookers couldn’t have made the road to comfort any easier: Simply toss in the ingredients, switch on, and then walk away.
Soulful Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup celery stalk sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp minced thyme
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp white or black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4-5 chicken thighs bone-In
- 1-2 tsp chicken bouillon optional
- 1 1/2 cup carrots sliced
- 6 cups broth
- 6 oz egg noodle
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium meat. Stir in onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf, followed by thyme, Italian seasoning, white pepper, and paprika. Saute' for about 2-3 minutes until onions are wilted.
- Add the chicken thighs, and chicken bouillon. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add carrots and broth to cover the chicken, top with more water. Salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 or more minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and shred the meat; discard the bones.
- Add shredded chicken back into the soup together with the noodles. Add water to cover noodles. Cover and cook 6-8 minutes while stirring occasionally .
- Adjust seasoning salt, pepper and soup consistency to taste.
- Serve warm.