This Southern Black folks Smothered Pork Chops recipe is a pure comfort food recipe that’s lightly breaded pork chops, smothered in a rich, savory and well- seasoned brown gravy. Resulting in the perfect Southern classic, this Black folks smothered pork chops recipe is a true delicacy of the south.
Smothered Pork Chops make a comforting, down-home southern meal, especially when served over mashed potatoes to soak up all of that flavorful gravy. Thick cut bone-in pork chops are covered in an easy onion gravy with just a touch of hot and Worcestershire Sauce.
Smothered Pork Chops Recipe
- 6 tbsp Vegetable Oil Separated
- 1 lb Pork Chops
- Kosher Salt or Seasoned Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour Plus 1 tbsp
- 1 medium Sized Onion Diced
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Hot Sauce
- Rice For Serving
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in large pan over medium heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge pork chops lightly in ½ cup of flour, then brown in skillet on both sides. Once browned, remove pork chops from skillet and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Next scrape the bottom of the pan, getting up all of the browned bits. Add the onion to the pan and saute' for about 5 minutes until a bit browned and tender. Add minced garlic and saute' for 1 minute.
- Push onions and garlic to one side of the pan, then add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet and sprinkle on remaining flour. Constantly stir,, allowing the flour to brown until it resembles a toffee color (about 5-8 minutes); then pour in chicken stock and water and whisk together.
- Turn heat to high to bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Whisk in worcestershire sauce, creole seasoning and hot sauce, then turn heat down to medium.
- Add back in pork chops and put lid on pan for 25-35 minutes or until sauce has thickened and coats the back of the spoon and pork chops are nice and tender..
- Serve over rice or with mashed potatoes and garnish with parsley if you desire.