Leadership for Women is a nonprofit organization focused on educating women who are epic – or, as the org puts it, E.P.I.C: empowered, powerful, intellectual and committed. On Saturday, L4W is in Detroit for the 3rd Women's Global Leadership Summit. The goal is to produce a community of women leaders globally.
L4W is stepping outside of the traditional women's expo box and creating one of its own. The summit focuses on two themes: building personal and professional skills.
The organization’s founder and executive director, ReeJade Richmond, tells BLAC while working in the corporate world, she came across women who were educated, talented. She noticed that her colleagues were hesitant to show her the ropes because they were afraid of losing their job. She says that she would run into women who had great social skills but lacked in professional skills — or women who were great in the business world, but their communication skills needed some serious work.
During the event, two panel discussions featuring professionals will speak on topics affecting women professionally and personally. L4W wants women to walk away with information that will help them effectively lead all areas of their life, including tips on how to turn your passion into a profitable business, time management, and having a healthy mind, body and spirit.
Eight special guests will speak at the expo, including:
- Jewel Estes, CEO of Glam House Productions, producer of the Royal Detroit Gala and an on-air personality for 910-AM
- Dr. Joyvina Evans, a college professor and author with a Ph.D and master's degree in administration, business administration and public health
- Dr. Linell King, who has over 15 years of experience working as an internal medicine physician
- Kim Boudreau-Smith, CEO and founder of Kim Boudreau Smith, Bold Radio Station and KBS Publishing
- Paula McDade, a survivor of childhood abuse and an Amazon-bestselling author, as well as a mentor for women and girls
- Ashleigh Maynor, founder of inTENtional U, LLC, a small business coaching firm and blog
- Damien Butler, an Army veteran and founder of the Manifest One Empowerment Group, as well as an educator
- Deneen Troupe-Buitrago, a Christian faith development strategist and director of Grow From Your Overflow business and educational center
After the ladies are filled with confidence, L4W will cap off the discussions with a zumba party. Richmond says at women expo’s the speakers are thought to be untouchable. “At L4W, we want everyone involved,” she says.
The organization will also award a $500 scholarship, and all participants will receive a gift bag filled with goodies from L4W sponsor Strolling Canvasses.
“I love seeing the light in the women's faces,” Richmond says.
The Leadership for Women Summit will be held in the St. Regis Hotel on October 22nd from 11am-4pm. For more information, including details on registration, click here.