“Sherman’s Showcase,” an Emmy-winning variety comedy series from IFC starring Bashir Salahuddin, will return for a second season on the network and AMC+ on October 26. The entire guest list has been confirmed, including EGOT-winner and series executive producer John Legend and “Insecure” and “Rap Sh!t” creator Issa Rae. IFC made the announcement on Wednesday, during AMC Networks’ day at the TV Critics Association press tour.
“We worked so hard to make this season happen,” show creators Diallo Riddle and Bashir Salahuddin said in a statement. “We filmed during a COVID spike. Our writers’ room was in a parking lot. We were wearing masks in the recording booth. It was insane. Still, somehow, we think we’ve topped Season 1. As our director Matthew Piedmont has said, we tried to only elevate the Sherman’s Showcase experience this season. And despite the challenges, the cast, crew, and a ton of dancers and stars still found their way to the studio where we shoot this show. Risking their lives. And ours. It was worth it.” The two creators are also known for their hilarious writing and comedic direction for “South Side.”
In the show’s imaginary world, Sherman’s Showcase is a critically praised show that incorporates comedy, dancers, false ads, movie trailers, cultural nostalgia, the Funk Monster, A-list guest stars, and original songs (“Drop it Low for Jesus,” “Marina Del Ray”) that have surely ascended the fictitious charts. Sherman McDaniels hosts each episode, transporting viewers across time with song and comedy culled from the 50-year archive of a famed (but fictional) musical variety program.
New award-winning actors, musicians, and entertainers will unleash their comedic talents in the clever, irreverent, and entirely original series. Some of the notable ones include:
- Issa Rae, creator of the hit show “Insecure”
- Chance The Rapper, Grammy-winning rapper
- Demi Adejuyigbe, popular for his role as Chidi in “The Good Place”
- Dewayne Perkins, Emmy nominated writer for “The Amber Ruffin Show”
And returning for the second season as guest stars include:
- John Legend, Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony-winner singer and executive producer
- Vic Mensa, Grammy-nominated hip-hop rapper
- Tawny Newsome, popular for her role as Angela Ali in the Netflix show “Space Force”
- Xosha Roquemore, from the “The Mindy Project”
- Chandra Russell, from “South Side”
- Morris Day, of The Time
- Rob Haze, a rising Atlanta-born comedian